Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Emmys

I'm not that much of an awards whore that I follow the Emmys (which by the way, are pretty much worthless). However, I need to find out if my favorites got recognition
.
Out of over 2,000 categories, 30 Rock came out on top with 22 nominations. My favorite television movie of the year (possibly my only) Grey Gardens was right behind it with 17. Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange both grabbed nominations for Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie. I loved both of them, but I hope Drew takes it. She really got a chance to FINALLY show her stuff. Jeanne Tripplehorn landed a nomination in the Supporting category for her small, but pivotal role as Jackie O. Tripplehorn is an uncanny match for the late first lady. Although, my favorite part of the whole film was when Drew in that damned Little Edie voice I thought no one could imitate, asked Jackie if it was true that Jack Kennedy gave her gonorrhea. I guess hearing Little Edie say something like that makes me giggle like a school-girl.

Among the ladies nominated for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series are Tina Fey, Christina Applegate, Sarah Silverman, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mary-Louise Parker and Toni Collette. I'm glad that Sarah Silverman's humor isn't too refined for the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.

Okay, I admit it. I love Sarah Silverman.

Toni Collette gets my vote. If only for one particular episode of United States of Tara when she gives this hurt look. And it isn't just any hurt look. It nearly made me cry. Isn't this show a comedy? It's a great mixture of both, and no matter how bad Diablo Cody's movies get (let's just say Juno gets tired after the third time and Jennifer's Body doesn't look so great) we can take comfort in knowing that she's a great television writer.

T would like to give her thanks to the Academy.

Gena Rowlands is on the nominee list for a guest appearance on Monk. This is good. I love you Gena, but I don't watch Monk.

I'm really curious now about Brothers & Sisters, the show Sally Field was nominated for. I've heart good things, and not so good things, but all good about Sally Field.

Who else is miffed about True Blood? I see some serious snubbing there. Am I alone in thinking that this is one of the few great shows on television? And speaking of True Blood...what the HELL is going on with Maryann?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I dislike when you comment anonymously. Leave a fake name if you like, but it's easier to respond to someone who has a name. Keep the foul language to a minimum.