Sunday, June 28, 2009

Excerpt from Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation"

I began reading Assassination Vacation, Sarah Vowell's chronicle of her voyage across the states to landmarks related to various presidential assassinations of the past, last night. In the preface, she describes how the Stephen Sondheim musical Assassins (one of my favorites) inspired her to take a road trip to revisit these moments in history. I nearly laughed my ass off when she is describing to a group of uptight New England folk her views of Emma Goldman in the musical:

"Maybe I'm too swayed by the way Maureen Stapleton played Goldman in the film Reds. She was so bossy! And remember Stapleton in that Woody Allen movie, Interiors? Geraldine Page is all beige this and bland that so her husband divorces her and hooks up with a nosy, klutzy Maureen Stapleton, who laughs too loud and smashes pottery and wears a blood-red dress to symbolize that she is Alive, with a capital A. Wait, I lost my train of thought. Where was I?"

Englishman: "I believe Dracula was in love with Maureen Stapleton."

I'm looking forward to more obscure references like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I dislike when you comment anonymously. Leave a fake name if you like, but it's easier to respond to someone who has a name. Keep the foul language to a minimum.