Thursday, June 25, 2009

Old news, and new news

Farrah Fawcett lost her long battle with anal cancer early this morning. It was tragic, but not exactly unexpected. She's been in and out of the hospital for a while now. Last night, when she was rushed back and a priest came to give her the last rites, it wasn't looking good. I began to follow the story, though I've never been a fan. Not to say I didn't like her, but I wasn't around for Charlie's Angels. She was still alive when I went to bed.

Then, when I awoke at around noon, CNN told me the news. Farrah Fawcett was dead. I don't know why, but I immediately became depressed. I needed a laugh. I started to watch Mighty Aphrodite. Soon, I had forgotten, and revelled in the magic that is Woody Allen (and Mira Sorvino, who gives a great performance). When I came back to my computer, Michael Jackson showed up on my screen. He had been rushed to the hospital after going into cardiac arrest.

At the time, it didn't even cross my mind that it could be THAT serious. Then, around five o'clock, I was shocked to see that he had passed away also. My initial thoughts were humorous (always); It's spreading. After I thought about it, I was actually sad. I wasn't raised in the 70s or the 80s, yet I still was a little upset. In a way, I feel bad for Farrah. Not just because of the cancer, but because she had to die on the same day as Michael Jackson. I mean that's a second-billing situation for anybody. However, it certainly doesn't mean she wasn't as important.

When you look back, can you really think of many people who have DEFINED a whole decade? Farrah will always be remembered as the sexy, kick-ass Jill on Charlie's Angels. It's one of the most famous images of the 1970s. Michael Jackson, though I never understood nor really liked him, I cannot deny, drastically changed the music industry and influenced almost every artist after him. His music is the first thing most people think of when you mention the 1980s. How many people can affect the way you think about a whole decade? Not many.

For their individual contributions to the entertainment world, they will be forever remembered.

1 comment:

  1. http://encorentertainmnt.blogspot.com/2009/06/michael-jackson-rip.html

    check out my take on Michael

    ReplyDelete

I dislike when you comment anonymously. Leave a fake name if you like, but it's easier to respond to someone who has a name. Keep the foul language to a minimum.