Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happiness is a thing called TCM

June has been wonderful. TCM has been showcasing the films of great directors every night. Last night, I saw Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and The King of Comedy by Martin Scorsese. A few weeks ago I caught Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Lady for a Day and You Can't Take it With You by Frank Capra, though he is not my favorite director. My favorite of these nights, however, was Ingmar Bergman night: The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona and Hour of the Wolf. How can you explain Ingmar Bergman? You can't, so I'm moving on. Unfortunately I missed Stephen Spielberg night (which I normally don't give a shit about, but they were showing his good films like Duel and Sugarland Express). I do regret that I missed Powell and Pressburger and King Vidor, but life goes on. Tonight is Mervyn Leroy (ick!) so I'm waiting for Vincente Minnelli night (which is really going all day so I'm not going to sleep tonight). Lubitsch is next, but I've seen all the ones they're showing so I'll catch some sleep then. After that is Kubrick, who I am interested in. Then, Lumet (yay!), then Fellini, then David Lean, Norman Jewison, Hitchcock, Cukor...*faints*. Wow, the rest of June is gonna be pretty busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I dislike when you comment anonymously. Leave a fake name if you like, but it's easier to respond to someone who has a name. Keep the foul language to a minimum.